Dental Nurse Impression Course
To provide dental nurses with the practical skills and underpinning knowledge needed to competently take impressions on a range of patients within the GDC scope of practice.
It is a half-day hands-on course for GDC registered dental professionals to enhance and advance in their clinical skills within a dental practice. There will be formative assessments at the end of the course. On successful completion, a CPD certificate will be issued on the day for achieving the course Aims and Objectives.
As part of this course student will be provided with a practical experience portfolio (PEP) to record supervised activity within the workplace on a range of patients with feedback from their GDC registered suitably qualified dental professional.
Students have up to 3 months to complete the practical experience portfolio. Following an assessment of the PEP competency certification will be issued.
- Current GDC certificate
- Currently employed as a dental nurse
- Support from a suitably qualified registered dental professional
- Identify the relevant professional requirements
- Gain informed consent from patients prior to treatment
- Read and Record patient records accurately
- Demonstrate up to date knowledge of cross-infection, health and safety and medical emergencies
- Communicate with and manage a range of patients
- Identify the qualities, pros and cons and manufacturer’s instructions of impression materials
- Select and prepare the correct impression tray
- Prepare the mouth for impression
- Correctly mix material and load impression tray
- Competently carry out impressions on a range of patients
- Inspect and identify faults on impressions
- Safely decontaminate and store impressions