Certification in Flouride Application
To provide dental nurses with the additional clinical skills and advanced knowledge required to competently apply topical fluoride to a range of patients within the GDC scope of practice.
Apply fluoride varnish on the prescription of a dentist or as Public Health project
Dental Arch’s Certification in topical Fluoride Application aims to provide registered GDC Dental Nurses with the theoretical knowledge and practical skills to apply topical fluoride to patients, following the prescription of a dentist.
The duration of this course is half a day. At the end of the course, there are formative assessments which must be completed in order to receive the qualification.
Upon successful completion of the class, they will receive a PEP (Practical Experience Portfolio). With the PEP, the dental student will be required to complete practical assessments, whilst supervised by their GDC registered, qualified dental professional. They are expected to record any supervised activity in the PEP which will be carried out in a dental practice on a range of patients. They will receive feedback on this activity from the supervising dental professional. Students will have 3 months to complete the PEP. Once this has been completed, the course learner will receive their Certification in Fluoride Application.
This course is suitable for registered and qualified dental nurses, dental hygienists, dental therapists and orthodontic therapists. Once the course has been passed, dental students will be subject to verifiable CPD courses.
The following eligibility criteria must be met, in order for the dental student to qualify to take the Fluoride Application Course
- Must hold a current GDC registration national certificate
- Must be currently employed as a registered in GDC dental nursing
- Must have the agreed support from a suitably qualified registered dental professional
By the end of the course and assessment, the dental student will be able to:
- Identify the relevant professional requirement
- Gain informed consent and Record patient records accurately
- Demonstrate up to date knowledge of cross-infection, health and safety and medical emergencies
- Communicate with and manage a range of patients
- State the causes, aetiology and progress of caries
- State the benefits and contraindications of the dental nurse fluoride varnish application course
- Identify sources of evidence for the use of fluoride varnish application
- Demonstrate competently selecting, preparing and applying fluoride varnish to a range of patients maintaining cross infection control and health and safety
- Provide relevant, accurate aftercare advice following fluoride application
What the course will cover
- Clinical patient management, patient care, standards, communication.
- Scope of practice, consent.
- Delivery of the correct knowledge, content and application of Delivering Better Oral Health, together with an explanation of the use of evidence-based statements.
- Principles of oral health education and promotion.
- History, use and benefits of fluoride.
- Clinical evidence in support of the use of fluoride varnish, particularly DoH.
- Carious process and fluoride’s role in preventing occurrence/recurrence.
- Dental anatomy in health and disease.
- Contraindications for the use of fluoride varnish and fluoride toxicity.
- Application of fluoride varnish.
The course will take place in our Winchester and London venues. The course fee is £80. All courses are led by an experienced, fully-qualified and skilled dental team and dental care professionals. Courses will cover topics in Accordance with the NEBDN (National Examining Board for Dental Nurses) Curriculum. Apply online today using our online application form. For further information on our Dental nurse training courses, please don't hesitate to get in touch.