Certification in Flouride Application
To provide dental nurses with the additional clinical skills and advanced knowledge required to competently apply topical fluoride to a range of patients within the GDC scope of practice.
Apply fluoride varnish on the prescription of a dentist or as Public Health project
It is a half day hands on course for GDC registered dental professionals to enhance and advance in their clinical skills within a dental practice. There will be formative assessments at the end of the course. On successful completion CPD certificate will be issued on the day for achieving the course Aims and Objectives.
As part of this course student will be provided with a practical experience portfolio (PEP) to record supervised activity within the workplace on a range of patients with feedback from their GDC registered suitably qualified dental professional.
Students have up to 3 months to complete the practical experience portfolio. Following assessment of the PEP competency certification will be issued.
- Current GDC certificate
- Currently employed as dental nurse
- Agreed support from a suitably qualified registered dental professional
- Identify the relevant professional requirements
- Gain informed consent and Record patient records accurately
- Demonstrate up to date knowledge of cross infection, health and safety and medical emergencies
- Communicate with and manage a range of patients
- State the causes, aetiology and progress of caries
- State the benefits and contraindications of fluoride varnish application
- Identify sources of evidence for the use of fluoride varnish application
- Demonstrate competently selecting, preparing and applying fluoride varnish to a range of
- Provide relevant, accurate aftercare advice following fluoride application